Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Little children, love one another!

I can't remember where I heard this story about John the Apostle but I've been looking for it for a long time and was so happy that I found it!

"There is a church tradition, which says, that when John was evidently an old man in Ephesus, he had to be carried to the church in the arms of his disciples. At these meetings, he was accustomed to say no more than, "Little children, love one another!" After a time, the disciples wearied at always hearing the same words, asked, "Master, why do you always say this?" "It is the Lord's command," was his reply. "And if this alone be done, it is enough!""

I just think it's such a sweet picture. This great man of faith, the apostle whom Jesus loved, frail and old being carried out by his disciples to speak 5 little words. "Little children, love one another!" Truly, "the only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love" (Galatians 5:6b, NIV) May God help me by His grace to love more.

(Source: http://www.biblepath.com/john1.html)

No comments: