Monday, February 18, 2008

Be Thankful=More Happiness ☺

The following is part of a short message I gave in youth group entitled, Steps* to True & Lasting Happiness (in no particular order). *this list is not exhaustive My four main points were (1) Excercise self control, (2) Enjoy correction, (3) Fear God, & (4) Be thankful. I had a lot of fun speaking this message and I enjoyed the time I spent acting as youth director.

The message was originally entitled something else and was somewhat scattered and unclear. I had all sorts of ideas but couldn't really figure out what I was trying to say. I asked my dad to look over my notes and he said a few simple statements that helped me to direct my thoughts around the simple them of true and lasting happiness. Here is point #4 of the message:

"One of the greatest things I've learned in life is to be thankful in all things. In Romans 1:21 the Bible describes futile and foolish people with darkened hearts as, “neither glorifying God nor giving thanks to Him.” In the Old Testament, God judged the Israelites when they weren't thankful:“Because you have not served the Lord your God with joy and enthusiasm for the abundant benefits you have received, you will serve your enemies whom the Lord will send against you”. Deuteronomy 28:47-48 (NLT) God does not like it when we complain.

The definition of complain is: to express grief, pain, or discontent; to make a formal accusation or charge. How bold! When we complain we are saying that God is not good. That somehow He has not done something right for us. We are telling Him that we know a better how He should handle things. Really when I think about it God has given me so much—that he's saved me from eternity in hell should be enough!! I can just stop right there. I don't have to spend eternity in hell. Jesus died on the cross and paid the penalty so I don't have to. Amazing. And not only that but He offers me His Word to live a good and happy lives on this earth!!

The definition of thankful is kind of neat, it means, conscious of benefit received; aware and appreciative of a benefit; grateful; well pleased. David, the Psalmist, I think sometimes had trouble being joyful. In Psalms 103 he tells his soul to rejoice and then he begins to list all God's benefits. I'm sure he was smiling by the end (and so was God!)!! We have been given so much. Make an effort to be thankful and grateful for all God has given you!! If you have trouble, tell your soul to be happy and then start listing all God's benefits to you.

Further, we are even to rejoice and be thankful in the trials and difficulties. We can take hope in difficult times knowing that God is working for our good. We can even be encouraged in suffering and trials. James 1:2-4 (NIV) says, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything”. Maturity, completeness, not lacking anything? Sounds like a pretty happy place to me!

“Happy indeed are those whose God is the Lord”. Psalm 144:15b (KJV)

No comments: