Monday, February 18, 2008

Fear God=Happiness

The following is part of a short message I gave in youth group entitled, Steps* to True & Lasting Happiness (in no particular order). *this list is not exhaustive My four main points were (1) Excercise self control, (2) Enjoy correction, (3) Fear God, & (4) Be thankful. I had a lot of fun speaking this message and I enjoyed the time I spent acting as youth director.

The message was originally entitled something else and was somewhat scattered and unclear. I had all sorts of ideas but couldn't really figure out what I was trying to say. I asked my dad to look over my notes and he said a few simple statements that helped me to direct my thoughts around the simple them of true and lasting happiness. Here is point #3 of the message:

"Fear means: respect, reverence, awe. Another definition is the following: “The fear of God is that awesome reverence of the LORD deriving from being sensitive to His glorious, holy and majestic Person resulting in respect and obedience”.

There is a tendency to emphasize the love of God, and how He was humble and became like one of us, and that He gives second chances because that is the most comfortable, but Romans 11:22 (NLT) says, “Notice how God is both kind and severe”. In addition to being loving and forgiving, He is also holy, just, a consuming fire, and righteous judge.

We must respect that God makes requirements of us. Over and over throughout scripture God promised blessings and friendship for those who obeying his Word and curses and trouble for those who disobeyed His Word (see Deuteronomy 28). In our studies in 1 John we learned that “We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands”. 1 John 2:3 (NIV) We must have a respect for God and His commandments. We must try to learn them and hide them in our hearts like Psalm 119:11 (NIV) says, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you”. Sin makes God very angry. Though it's difficult to comprehend, people will go to hell for their sins if they do not repent and believe.

Jesus himself said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the one who can destroy both soul and body in hell." Mat 10:28 (NIV) It's scary to think that God has the power to throw me into hell! The Bible says in Isaiah 64:6, “We are all infected and impure with sin. And all our righteous acts are like filthy rags.” We can never do anything good enough that will save us. Aren't you thankful that “While we were still sinners, Christ died for us”. Romans 5:8 (NIV) Thinking of where I should be going and what Christ has saved me from makes me very happy!!

Philippians 2:12 (NIV) urges us to “work out [y]our own salvation with fear and trembling”. The fear of the Lord is also described as “the beginning of wisdom” Proverbs 9:1 (NIV). And in speaking of people who fear God the Bible says in Psalm 25:12-14 (NLT) “Who are those who fear the Lord? He will show them the path they should choose. They will live in prosperity, and their children will inherit the Promised Land. Friendship with the Lord is reserved for those who fear him. With them he shares the secrets of his covenant.” Friendship with the Lord sounds pretty good to me!"

No comments: