Thursday, May 1, 2008

Simultaneously Criticized and Affirmed

I think this is such a beautiful and true statement of the cross:
"The cross of Christ is simultaneously the greatest criticism and the greatest affirmation you could ever receive. The great criticism of the cross is that you are so sinful that God had to sacrifice his Son on the cross for your sins. The great affirmation of the cross is that you are so loved that God sacrificed his Son on the cross for your sins. The cross criticizes you, it reveals the extent of your sin. The cross simultaneously affirms you, it reveals the extent of God's sacrificial love for you through Jesus."
And, from the same author... This is why I don't like some emerging, seeker-sensitive churches. They lean to much in the direction of the following (insert emerging, seeker-senstive church leader in the blank):
"The cross that I heard ___ ____ speak of on Monday night was a cross full of affirmation, but void of criticism. My conviction is that you don't have a true cross unless you hold together the paradox of the cross--that what Jesus did on the cross is simultaneously a radical criticism of your sinfulness and a radical affirmation of your value to God. ___'s message left me with a lot of affirmation, but no criticism. ___ message left me with a big vision of myself and a small vision of God.
The gospel is BOTH criticism and affirmation. It makes God big and man small. The author continues...
"But when I survey the wondrous cross of the Bible I'm simultaneously criticized and affirmed, giving me a big vision of a very big, very good God and small vision of myself, a sinner saved by amazing grace. I experience joy, I give glory to God, and I am of help to my neighbor and my city when I have such a perspective."
I love his comment on the paradox of the cross. A paradox is "a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth". That's so neat!

(HT: Buzzard Blog)

No comments: