Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Spirit-Filled Cartographers

I couldn't agree more with the post, Why "Just Me and My Bible" Is Insufficient, from Between Two Worlds:
Michael Horton
: "The best way to guard a true interpretation of Scripture, the Reformers insisted, was neither to naively embrace the infallibility of tradition, or the infallibility of the individual, but to recognize the communal interpretation of Scripture. The best way to ensure faithfulness to the text is to read it together, not only with the churches of our own time and place, but with the wider 'communion of saints' down through the age."

Larry Woiwode: "There is rugged terrain ahead for those who are constitutionally incapable of referring to the paths marked out by wise and spirit-filled cartographers over the centuries."
While I do think it's important to read and meditate on the word and try to figure out what it's trying to say on my own (as in not depending on my Bible study notes to tell me what the Bible is saying), I also find it so important for me to 'read it together' with Sproul or Calvin or Luther or Spurgeon. Otherwise I find myself interpreting Scripture in a way that is incorrect or incomplete. I'm so grateful for the work and diligence of these 'saints down through the age' that guide me and keep me on the right path. I want to follow 'the paths marked out by wise and spirit-filled cartographers over the centuries'.

If you aren't subscribed to Between Two Worlds I definitely recommend doing so. The blog cranks out some serious 'theological linkage'. : )

No comments: