Thursday, February 12, 2009

Ultrasound Training

I completed my didactic training in Limited Obstetrical Ultrasound last week and I was amazed at how much I learned in just three days! The training was done through the National Institute of Family and Life Advocates (NIFLA). From their website, NIFLA "exists to provide life-affirming pregnancy help centers the best legal education, consultation, and training possible". In providing training in ultrasound, they follow the guidelines given by The Association for Medical Ultrasound (AIUM).

For the past six months I have been volunteering some of my time as a nurse at Care Net PRC of North Central MA. I've really enjoyed volunteering there and felt so privileged to be able to attend this training! Now I just need to complete the practicum or 'hands-on' part of the training which includes 50-75 scans before I can do them on my own and be fully certified. Limited Obstetrical Ultrasound is not diagnostic but it can give preliminary information on the gestational age of the baby, the location (is it in uterus), and the viability (is the heart beating). This is very helpful information for women who need to make a decision regarding their pregnancy and it also serves women who are awaiting health insurance.

One of the instructors brought up an interesting point. She said that ultrasound didn't really come on the scene until right around the time that abortion became legal. Ultrasound is a window into the womb and when you see that tiny beating heart there's no denying that a life has begun.

No comments: