Saturday, June 21, 2008

Jesus and Buddha on Happiness: DesiringGod.org

I enjoyed this article comparing Jesus' and Buddha's views on lasting happiness at Desiring God. I'd definitely recommend reading the whole article, but here are a few of my favorite comparisons.
"The Buddha taught that nothing lasts, so be attached to nothing. Jesus taught that One Thing lasts, so at all cost, be attached to that!"

"Jesus knows that our desire for happiness is designed by God and so is our desire for permanence.... We are designed to be satisfied with the one eternal, permanent God."

"Jesus and the Buddha agree that pursuing happiness in transient things is futile, but they direct us to opposite solutions. The Buddha says satisfaction is treasuring nothing. Jesus says it is treasuring God...."

"Evil is when we believe that God will not satisfy us and therefore pursue happiness in transient things. That’s the essence of sin."

Be appalled, O heavens, at this; be shocked, be utterly desolate, declares the Lord, for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water. (Jeremiah 2:12-13)
I want to pursue happiness in God. I don't want to 'hew out' my own 'cisterns' to try to satisfy my desires. I want to be entirely satisfied and find my treasure in Him, 'the fountain of living waters'.

No comments: