Thursday, June 26, 2008

Promised Book Reviews

A while back I had promised to give book reviews on both Doing Things Right In Matters of the Heart & Why We're Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be). Well, I'm probably not going to ever get to write a full review on either but I thought I'd just share a few thoughts on each.

To let you know, I have not read either book from cover to cover, but I have skimmed Doing Things Right In Matters of the Heart and have read several chapter from Why We're Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be). Well, here goes...

Doing Things Right In Matters of the Heart. This book presents a complementarian view of men and women as it relates to pre-marriage and marriage relationships. The book is split into two sections: Matters of the Heart (Theory) & Doing Things Right (Practice). If you've done any study at all into biblical manhood and womanhood and relationships then Matters of the Heart will be an excellent review. I mostly enjoyed the 'Doing Things Right' section of the book. I loved the short chapters and the chapter titles in this section are actually really helpful in themselves. A few examples of chapter titles: 'He Leads...She Guides', 'His Unmet Desire Drives Him toward Marriage...Hers Is Rewarded With Marriage', and 'He Loves By Sacrificing...She, by Submitting'. You could learn a lot just contemplating those short chapter titles! I think it is definitely a 'must own' book as it is an excellent resource on it's subject matter.

Why We're Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be). This review is going to be very short, but what I liked most about this book was it's simple, matter-of-fact language. These guys aren't trying to start a fight or prove that their way is better. They give credit to the movement where credit is due and yet definitely maintain their separation from the movement. I enjoyed the footnotes and I think they present a lot of useful research and information for their readers. I'll definitely keep this on my shelf to read or reread a chapter here and there and use it as reference as needed.

If you're looking for full reviews, I'd recommend checking out Discerning Reader's reviews on both books, Doing Things Right In Matters of the Heart & Why We're Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why We're Not Emergent is next on my reading list. I'm reading Courage To Be Protestant right now. I highly recommend it. David Wells is the author.

Jessica said...

Thanks for the recommendation!