Thursday, January 1, 2009

Resolutions

I usually make the same resolutions every year in the hopes that one of these years I'll actually do them. My two resolutions are usually to 1. To maintain good spiritual health through regular Bible reading and 2. To maintain good physical health through regular exercise. When I was younger and full of energy I did fairly well in these areas but I feel like I get less motivated as I get older. Also, my work schedule is crazier and harder and I have new pesky injuries that prevent me from exercising at times. So I make resolutions and goals to beat back that laziness and try to assemble some sort of order in my life.

I'm going to use The Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan (it's a good one because you can miss five days a months and still keep up) and this exercise program from PersonalTrainingPrograms.com. If you have access to a gym you can tailor your own program according to your needs with beginner to expert 2-5 day schedules. (I'm doing the 3 day beginner.)

Last year I made some headway on my resolutions. I exercised for a good portion of the spring and summer and read regularly over the fall and part of the winter. I struggle greatly with both as I am often quite lazy and not motivated. I lack intentionality and discipline in much of my life. All of that said, I'm not discouraged!

The Blazing Center posted a great article Reasons To Have Hope You'll Change to discourage any feelings of inability in making resolutions: "We should use all God’s means of grace to grow - reading and meditating on Scripture, prayer, fellowship, worship, communion. But our hope for change is our mighty Savior, not ourselves. So take courage - Jesus is at work in you!"

Oh yeah, and though this wasn't a resolution, I've also flossed regularly for most of 2008. It was, of course, after my dentist and hygienist said all my teeth would fall out if I didn't but, hey, whatever motivates you! : )

No comments: