Saturday, January 31, 2009

What I've been up to....

  • I've started to feel better lately. 2007-20008 at my church were really rough and it completely wore me out. I was bone weary tired all the time and felt very overwhelmed, but I've finally started feeling better.
  • Starting in April, I will be volunteering my time at Henry Heywood Hospital as a labor doula. A doula is a labor assistant and pretty much assists the family through the birth process. This hospital provides doulas free of charge upon request to all their patients as a service to the community. I went into nursing initially because I wanted to get into maternity. So I figure this is a perfect opportunity to get certification as a labor doula and to get some experience in maternity nursing.
  • I've also been volunteering at Care Net PRC of North Central MA in Fitchburg since July. I love volunteering there and have grown so much from my experiences. My duties have been counseling women, facilitating childbirth education classes, and keeping the boutique organized. I volunteer every Friday. I'm traveling down to Virginia on Wednesday (by train) to get training in limited obstetrical ultrasound. I'm so blessed!
  • I've also been singing in the choir at church. We're not that great and you can hardly hear the choir (bad mics) and Pastor Rafael is a brand new pastor and he's nothing like our previous worship pastor so while we got a few marks against us, I'm really enjoying learning to read music better and find a harmony I love it (phew! run on sentence). Hopefully the congregation will too.... eventually.
  • I've been working a lot lately. I work per diem at UMASS and Favorite Staffing. I don't get any benefits (but I do get payed at a higher rate) but I can work as little or as much as I want. I can pick the days I want to work. It's really great. Everyone always asks about health insurance--I get it through Fallon at $240/month. Ideally I'd like to get a job closer to home. I'd really like to get into Leominster Hospital. The commute to Worcester is no fun. I'd also like to make myself available for night shifts and driving home from Worcester after a night shift is NOT safe.
  • Also big news: My brother is engaged. : ) Her name is Megan and he met her at the church he attends. She's perfect for him and I like her a lot. The wedding is set for May 16th.

No comments: